Anthony Braulick, FireFly’s Lenovo Specialist, talks through Lenovo’s 2020 updates and the main differences between ThinkPad’s E, L, and T-Series. Learn what devices could be a good fit for your students and staff.
What’s New for Lenovo in 2020
Lenovo has undergone some major changes to their ThinkPad naming conventions this year. It’s one of the biggest changes we’ll see in 2020 for ThinkPads, but don’t let the new names throw you. Like before, you can still identify the screen size just by looking at the name. Devices ending in “3” have a 13” screen, devices ending in “4” have a 14” screen, and so on. However, the generation denotation (the second number), and the processor code (0 or 5 depending on whether the processor is Intel or AMD respectively), are being dropped. That leaves us with a simpler, cleaner naming code: Series + Screen Size. Here’s a list of all the ThinkPad name changes so far:
Improved Audio and Far-field Microphones
With dispersed workforces in mind–all of whom are still adjusting to the increasing need for video/phone conferencing–Lenovo added Dolby sound innovation and far-field microphones across the entire ThinkPad portfolio. With 2020 ThinkPads, you’ll be able to hear and be heard more clearly during remote conversations with fellow staff, students, and coworkers.
“Stylish and Affordable Productivity”
The E-Series ThinkPads bring big performance, sleek looks, and great value for the price. They are great additions to any IT team’s arsenal. E-series’ versatility allows these devices to fit into any role in your organization’s tech ecosystem without breaking the bank.
Price Range: Starts at $585
- Lenovo ThinkPad E14
- Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 (AMD)
- Lenovo ThinkPad E15
- Lenovo ThinkPad E15 Gen 2 (AMD)
- The E-Series offers the most value-focused devices without sacrificing much on performance. They still run strong like other ThinkPads, but without some of the elite features included with higher-cost series models.
- E-Series devices are built extra-tough and have the ThinkPad durability you’d expect.
- You get the classic ThinkPad look, Lenovo’s legendary keyboard (including the iconic TrackPoint), and signature black color with E-Series ThinkPads.
- ThinkPads in the E-Series have the new ThinkShutter security feature–a switch that covers up your device’s 720p camera whenever you want.
- E-Series ThinkPads are the bigger and heavier than other ThinkPad series.
- E-Series does not contain a touch screen option, and unlike other ThinkPad series, you’ll find limited options for a backlit keyboard.
Who should buy from this series:
Anyone wanting to maximize value versus cost. E-Series ThinkPads will get the job done without any lags in performance, and many builds are affordable enough to distribute to a large number of teachers and students.
“(Un)Conventional business laptops”
Lenovo ThinkPad L-Series pairs big-league processing with sleek, consumer design for an optimal customer experience. They deliver comprehensive, business-class security with enhanced features. Perfect for any organization, mid-range L-Series ThinkPads offer enterprise quality docking capabilities and optional remote management.
Price Range: Typically $600 – $900
- Lenovo ThinkPad L13
- Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga
- Lenovo ThinkPad L14
- Lenovo ThinkPad L15
- Among the ThinkPad lines, L-Series is the only one with a Yoga option– a term for 360° devices that can convert between laptop and tablet modes. ThinkPad L13 Yoga gives you all the flexibility of a standard 2-in-1, but with ThinkPad performance. It also includes a garaged stylus for an even greater touchscreen experience.
- Many L-Series devices come with great perks like a 3 Year Depot Warranty and built-in system management with Intel vPro.
- Compared with the E-Series, ThinkPad L-Series offers more robust security. It includes a host of powerful features to thwart intrusions and data theft, including the Lenovo ThinkShield™ security platform, secure multifactor authentication with Windows Hello™, ThinkShutter™ webcam cover, a fingerprint reader, facial recognition capability, and more.
- L-Series ThinkPads deliver a minimum of two USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C ports for enhanced connectivity.
- L-Series ThinkPads don’t have an option for a discrete graphics card. The built-in graphics are great (and exactly what an average worker typically would need), but if you’re looking for the ability to amp up your graphics even more, the L-Series isn’t for you.
- If your goal is to get the most bang for your buck, ThinkPad E-series devices can often be a better value if you don’t mind going without some of the L-Series’ enhanced security features and higher-end finishes.
Who should buy from this series:
This is a great series for people interested in a 13” display or 2-in-1 Yoga capability. It’s also great for people who don’t want to budget for T-Series’ premium features, but still want something sleeker and lighter than the E-series.
“Built to go on and on. And on.”
T-Series ThinkPads are top-of-the-class for performance and design and true office workhorses. Lightweight, and uber-powerful, the devices in this series are perfect for hardcore productivity wherever you happen to be.
Price Range: As low as $700
- Lenovo ThinkPad T14
- Lenovo ThinkPad T14 (AMD)
- Lenovo ThinkPad T14s
- Lenovo ThinkPad T14s (AMD)
- Lenovo ThinkPad T15
- T-Series is where you’ll find the “s” build models (T14s (Intel™) and T14s (AMD™)), which are the thinnest and lightest Lenovo ThinkPads. This makes them super sleek and ultra-mobile.
- T-Series devices come standard with a 3 Year Depot Warranty to keep you running strong.
- Wake faster and sleep smarter with Modern Standby and Smart Standby. Modern Standby provides instant wake up with your fingerprint, while Smart Standby features a managed and configurable low power state that maximizes battery life and includes low-power optimization for WWAN (wireless wide area network). These give you a more phone-like, always on, always connected user experience.
- New in 2020, ThinkPad T-Series now feature improvements to voice calling and conferencing, with new unified communication keys and an enhanced microphone. The previous F9, F10, and F11 key functions (Settings, Bluetooth, and Keyboard) have been replaced with functions that provide one-touch access to system settings and messages via the Windows Notification Center, as well as new voice call buttons (F10, F11) that make phone communications through your PC smoother and more intuitive. Both T-Series ThinkPads and X-Series now feature newly redesigned dual microphones that can capture crystal-clear 360° voice reception from up to 4 meters away.
- Higher price point
Who should buy from this series:
Any member of your organization who is on the move, routinely holds teleconferences with other workers and clients, or who just needs the best performance. ThinkPad T-Series is for those who appreciate having power and speed at their fingertips and who believe that using technology can (and should) be an experience, not a task.
Thinkin’ ’bout ThinkPads for your school?
If you’re looking for powerful, productive devices for your students and staff, you can’t do better than Lenovo ThinkPads. Built for real-deal professionals, these devices deliver legendary performance in sleek and durable designs. Whether it’s E‑Series, L‑Series, T‑Series, or even X‑Series, there’s a ThinkPad that’s right for you.
Need help deciding? Our FireFly team is here for you–free of charge, with no obligations. When you’re ready, we offer FREE system imaging and other services like asset tagging/etching and eco-friendly bulk shipping, all of which means you could be about to experience your easiest PC deployment ever.
ANTHONY BRAULICK | Lenovo Windows Specialists, FireFly Computers
Email: email@example.com, Phone: 612-564-4088 (ex. 129)